Does my homeowners policy cover my possessions when they are not in my house?

A standard homeowners policy provides coverage equal to 10% of the limit for Coverage C of a homeowner policy or $1,000, whichever is greater. This coverage is useful for protecting you while traveling and for other temporary situations. If you have property in excess of these amounts away from home or property that is kept away from your residence premises for extended periods, you should consider additional protection.

The 10% limitation for household property is for property at an Insured's Residence Premise. There is no limitation for property carried on vacation or stored in a storage unit (except whatever the contents limit is on the property).


Information provided by